Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 6

I think it's so hillarious when people tell me to my face that I'm brainwashed. It's so funny, because if they really understood what missionary work was like they would know that not even the most intensely brainwashed person would do this kind of work. Oh these people, if only they knew.
This week was so great! We didn't teach as much as I wanted to but it's picked back up since yesterday and we are ready to go! Happy Labor day everyone, I hope you enjoyed it, I don't think Canadians really celebrate it, it's just another day off of work for them as usual. That means good news for us because we found so many people at home! woop woop! And we got a new investigator! hooray! Her name is Pergah and get this, she's from IRAN! how cool is that? I'll tell you...SO COOL! She speaks persian. (I know even cooler) and she's searching! She was Muslim all her life, but moved here 8 months ago and started exploring Christianity. In our lesson yesterday she kept saying, "I want to be sure, I want to feel it in my heart." It was such a cool lesson and she had so many great questions. Now we just need to figure out how to get a Persian Book of Mormon ASAP. Sister Davis and I have decided we're going to get a globe and for all of the people we teach we'll mark there countries in one color and for all of the people we meet we'll mark their countries in another. It's insane how many times I've met some one, asked them where they are from, and then thought, "where is that?" I really need to brush up on my geography.
Jerome, who is our investigator from the Phillipines is doing so great! He's now successfully completed the 7 day stop smoking program! We've set a few baptismal dates with him, but they've always been delayed. Sister Davis and I wanted him to feel prepared so we set Oct. 8th, but when we asked him about it he said, "oh I was hoping it would be sooner!" ya you were! sweet! So he chose September 30th, and we all prayed about it together. I am so impressed with these people that I've seen who have given up addictions. It's tough stuff! The cravings never really go away for them but they do it, and it's pretty amazing.
Jing and Chen are our investigators from China. They are the cutest couple ever. Jing likes to talk and Chen doesn't. Whenever Jing tries to explain something and Chen thinks that she's talking to much he'll say, "ok ok" and try to stop her and then she slaps him on the leg or pinches him. It's really so funny watching them interact. They also have the most amazing questions and insights! Chen said yesterday how he felt the Spirit at church, or a "gut feeling" as he called it, while people were bearing their testimonies. He then went on to say that in the church he keeps hearing everyone say, "I know this is true, or that is true." but he wants to hear the process not just the end result. It thought that was a pretty cool note. I love foreigners, they are so bold and straight to the point. And when they try to express themselves in English, they choose different words than you would expect. Forinstance a lot of our Asian investigators explain the Spirit as "confidence." Isn't that cool?
For the life of me I cannot figure out why Canadians do not frost their cinnamon rolls! WHY? That is the best part! I just don't get it. Please someone explain this to me. We recently ate over at Sister Lyons house. She is a baker by profession so lets just say it was pretty much the best meal ever! We had rolls, and battin bread (fried goodness), and homemade donuts! ah! so good! She took them right out of the deep frier and we rolled them in sugar and boy was it good. Members have been so nice about feeding us lately. Such a blessing.
Oh ya, we had zone conference this week! It was so good! President and Sister Simpson came and the missionary couple who are in charge of our mental health came and spoke. They cover a TON of missions, so it was cool to meet them and hear what they had to say. I felt like I was in one of my marriage and family classes at BYU. I love it when President and Sister Simpson come and visit. They really are the parents of the mission. Sister Simpson always expresses her love for us at the begginning of meetings, it's so nice to have them here.
Can you believe September is here? I can't. Time has just flown by and continues on. I've lately been thinking about all the things that I've learned on my mission. I can't imagine the kind of person I would have been if I hadn't of gone. It's crazy. One thing I'm very grateful for is the Spirit. At doors lately people have been complimenting me on being very articulate. It's such a nice compliment, but they don't realize that it's not me, it's that they are feeling the Spirit! There's this really cool scripture in 1 Corinthians 2:4. It explains it so well. I could not do this work without the Spirit. Nothing I say to these people could really touch their hearts without the Spirit. I'm so grateful for the amazing power of the Holy Ghost that can touch my heart and help give me power so that our message can then be carried to their hearts. The church is true! And even if so many people think I am brainwashed, at least I know I'm not, I have found the truthfullness of this gospel and that is why I chose to come and continue to stay, it's all because it's true. No one needs to convince you the Book of Mormon is true, it does it all on it's own. Thank you for your letters, and your support!
Love,
Sister Crane

No comments: