Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28

To All:

Hello! So I found a spider in my house, you would think that would mean that Spring is coming, but I just don't think that's ever going to happen. It snowed, it rained, and then it all turned into ice and then it snowed some more. I think I've almost fallen about 50 times, I don't know how I haven't fallen flat on my face yet. Yesterday Sister Glenn and I walked up a really steep driveway covered in ice only to knock and find no one was home and on the way down I was so close to falling, I really like this whole being a missionary thing I think it's keeping me safe some how.
So announcement: go check out Mormon.org. It's so cool. I don't know if I wrote this in my last e-mail but President is having us go and check it out twice a week and just watch all of the videos on it. It's so cool. I made a profile so you can search my name and see if you find me too, although it says it's still pending so maybe give it a week. I think it is going to be a really great missionary tool. They even gave us these cool pass along cards for it. I love that the church is so hip.
Ok so I have another really cool story for you. It's kind of insane. You'll love it. It goes like this: so we decided that we were going to set specific goals of finding 2 new investigators this week. We set a goal to find the first one by Wednesday at 5:00pm. So come Wednesday morning we still did not have a new investigator. We planned and worked and before we knew it, it was 4:30pm and no new investigator. So we prayed and planned and picked a street. We go to the first house on the street and think, "here it is our new investigator!" nope...not interested. We knock the whole street and it's 4:55pm, and we're at the last house. Sister Glenn and I look and each other and say, "ok here it is! our new investigator, it's going to happen!" A woman opens the door and immediately invites us in. I kept thinking, "no way, I'm not getting my hopes up, lets sit down and see if we can teach a lesson." She says she would love to hear our message and we start with a prayer and as I start the restoration I hear her clock ring that it's 5 o'clock. We got a return appointment and BAM we got a new investigator. Isn't that insane?! We walked out of there in shock. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, we had the faith, we planned with the Spirit and worked, but still it's crazy that it worked! And right at 5. It is just another reminder to me that Heavenly Father is so mindful of us. He is involved in every phase of the work. And sometimes He just answers our prayers to show us that He is there and that He will answer us and knows us and our needs. So cool. I love the gospel.
So our investigators. They are awesome. Yet a lot of them aren't progressing (meaning they aren't keeping all of their commitments like reading, praying, or CHURCH!) It's so disappointing when they don't keep their commitments and sometimes I feel like I've tried everything and they still won't follow through. But I love them, and maybe it's just patience that is needed on my part. Casey is doing awesome. She is so excited about her baptismal date and she has told her friends and family and explained to them the commitment she's making and they are all so supportive. It's so exciting to see her be in it 100%. She's such a great example for me to follow. Greg is doing awesome too. He finished Helaman! This week he says he wants to finish 3rd Nephi. At this rate he'll be done in another few weeks and then he'll finally come to church! He's so funny. He and I joke quite a bit, because he thinks I just want to get him baptized right now. (which I do) but it's not like I'm going to push him in. Every lesson when I bring up baptism he says, "I was wondering when you were going to bring that up" same with any of our commitments he always cuts us off because he sees us building up to it and he answers our question without us even asking. He's hilarious. Last lesson he was chatting for a bit with the members we brought with us, before the lesson started, and then I said, "well should we start with a word of prayer" He starred me down smiling and then said something like, "took you long enough." One day I'll surprise him and he won't know what's hit him....too bad I'm way too predictable, all I want is for him to get baptized :) What's so great about Greg is that he loves to test his knowledge. We talked about Alma the younger and he rehearsed to me all of the details before I could even begin telling him the story. It's great to see him love the Book of Mormon.
I know I've said this before but I just love the members here. They just have become like family to me. We went to an appointment with Sister MacInnis and the investigator wasn't home so we went to leave a note. We couldn't find a good spot to stick it and Sister MacInnis asked if we had tape. I said some sort of joke like, "no I never thought to carry scotch tape around with me." We laughed. Next morning in church she walks up and hands me a brand new roll of scotch tape to stick in my purse. It was so cute. Now I'll never leave home without it :) The Reyes family has been so great as well. Sister Reyes is a single mom of 5 kids. Her kids are adorable and loud and her house is always an adventure. We love going over there and spending time with them. We were at her house for supper last night and she asked if I would say a prayer. You could tell it had a been a long day and the kids were being restless and crazy. As I went to say the prayer Zac( 7) said "but she said it last night!" I don't even know what was so funny about that statement except for the fact that I wasn't at their house last night, but maybe we had been there so much that week he thought I said their family prayer too. I couldn't help myself but I started to laugh and it created a chain effect and the whole table was giggling. It was so funny and I still don't know why. It's moments like that where I can't wait to be a parent. I am so grateful for the lasting relationships I have built with the members here.
Well that's all folks. I am so grateful for the gospel. I am so grateful that it has always been apart of my life. I love sharing it. I love getting immersed in the work. Truly we should be the happiest people because we have the fullness of the gospel on the earth. What a huge blessing. Thank you for your support and love!

love,
Sister Crane

No comments: