Monday, March 14, 2011

Casey's baptism

Casey is now a baptized member of the church! It was the best day ever! Seriously! And it went by so fast. From start to finish it was just perfect and she was beaming the whole day. She had a ton of her family there and her boyfriend too. I think they all enjoyed it and her mom cried a lot. I love it when I see their parents cry because you know they are just so proud of them. Even if they don't understand the church fully, by being there at the baptism they get to really feel proud of their child and see how everyone loves them. At the end Sister Glenn and I were cleaning up in the kitchen and we thought Casey had already left but all the sudden she came back in and gave us both a hug and thanked us. It was such a sweet moment and I am so grateful that I got to be apart of the baptism. That day I thought about all of the missionaries she's gone through in a year and how I was fortunate enough to see the end goal of it all. I felt so grateful for missionaries who had helped prepare her for this day. After the baptism she bore her testimony and she said, "I don't believe the church is true, I know it." Ah! She's amazing. I hope to always stay in contact with her, I've learned so much from her.
The confirmation was wonderful as well! She just couldn't wipe the smile off her face. Her boyfriend Devin even came to church which was so awesome! She didn't think he would want to come, and her family couldn't so it was nice that someone came to the confirmation as well. At church I felt like I had a million different things to do. I got asked to play the piano because the organist was out of town. Then I played for our special musical number, while Sister Glenn sang "There is a green hill far away." It went really well it's the EFY 2009 version and it's a really neat rendition. Then from the pulpit one of the counselors asked me to give the closing prayer. I played in relief society and then gave the opening prayer there too. I love that in a small branch I get to serve so much, even as exhausting as it is :)
Greg, Heather, Joleen, and theif friend Wanda came to the baptism and they all loved it. Heather and Wanda came to church too and I think they enjoyed that as well. Wanda is Heather's friend who she invited to one of our lessons and now Wanda is on date to be baptized for May 14th! It's so exciting!
Greg loved the baptism. We had an appointment with him later on after the baptism and he began to cry just talking about Casey's baptism. He said what made him so emotional about it was that she was just so happy and to see how she felt before and after being baptized I think got him really excited for his own baptism. If only we could get him to set a date. He just doesn't want to be pushed or pressured. Too late :) He thinks since I've been here so long that I'll get transferred next and so he jokes that once I leave he'll be ready for baptism. He just wants to torture me. He knows that I want him to get baptized and I know he wants me there but he teases so much sometimes I wonder :)
oh Oh OH and guess what? They opened up a sisters area on PEI! yahoo! Maybe I'll get to serve there then! I've been dying this whole time because they closed the sisters area in PEI right before I got here, but because we got 2 more sisters this past week, they opened up one in Montigue. So here's hoping! I do have 6 weeks for sure left in Truro because transfers were last week. I'm trying to enjoy every minute of it since I know I might not have much time left, and if I do I'll be so happy!
We also have a new investigator from China. Her american name is Jessica and I have no clue how to spell her chinese name. She's so nice. When I was explaining prayer she asked me to share a time that I felt prayer help me in my life. I was so taken off guard by the question that it took me forever to think of an experience. I think I have a weird memory while being on a mission because I can't remember anything before my mission and I can't picture anything after. I guess that's why they call it a "mini life." Anyways I'm excited to teach her more.
This week has just flown by, I feel like I did so much more but I can't seem to write it all down. The weather has gotten better! Well until today...it snowed...again. But this past week we got as high as 11 degrees Celcius. It was so nice! I loved just walking around and talking to people in the nice sun! I hope it comes back!
So I had this really interesting experience with this guy at a door. Let me give the background to the story first. So we're out knocking and for like 6 doors in a row I felt like I wasn't getting out my words right. People would say the weirdest things or just not what I was expecting and I was stumbling over my words and just wanted to get out what I really wanted to say. I was telling Sister Glenn this and then we knocked on another door. The guy answers and seems nice but then flat out says he thinks we're brainwashed. He goes on and on and finally I said, "can I just say something?" surprisingly he said yes and I went on to tell him that I would not have left my family and friends to come out for a year and a half to some other country to serve as a missionary if I did not know that it was true. I told him how I went to college and lived on my own and if I didn't want to go to church I could have stopped. Anyways I ended up bearing my testimony and we talked for a while. During part of the conversation he said, "why would anyone want to be religious it makes you unhappy." I looked at sister glenn and said jokingly, "am I smiling? sorry I thought I was smiling, don't I look happy to you?" He laughed at that. In the end we gave him a pass a long card and went on our way, but I felt like we both gained so much just from that conversation. He now knows more about our faith and I finally got to get all of my words out! I am so grateful for the Spirit. To have the guidance of the Holy Ghost is such a blessing. With out the Spirit I couldn't have said what I wanted to say to him and what the Lord wanted him to hear. I think if there is one thing I've learned on my mission thus far it's how the Holy Ghost speaks to me and what a precious gift it is.
The church is soooooooo true! Like Casey, I don't believe it, I know it. Christ does live. The Spirit testifies of Him and can speak to each one of us. God does hear our prayers. Families are eternal. I am so grateful to be a missionary and to be serving here. Thank you for your letters and prayers! Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Sister Crane

No comments: