Monday, January 10, 2011

January 10

We had 4 people to church this Sunday! yahoo! I was thrilled. But get this: after Sacrament Meeting we are all so excited for investigators class and BAM someone comes in and says that the rest of church is CANCELLED. Church cancelled? I have never heard of church being cancelled right in the middle! We didn't even get that much snow. BUT there are people that drive from far away to get to church, so I understand they need to be safe:) I was totally bummed. It's just that church is the culmination of all of our work and we have 4 people to church and it gets cancelled. Lame. Oh and we had a less active, Sister Meisner come to church for the 1st time in 6 years! I was so thrilled and shocked that she was there my tears overflowed. It is such a wonderful feeling seeing people come to church who you know it must have been a real struggle for them but they did it! The rest of the day Sister Peaden and I were snowed in, which totally stinks. We studied all day and then got to see the CES fireside with Elder Christofferson. It was sooooooo good. I highly recommend it. He talked about living day by day, which was a message I totally needed. As I was watching it I was thinking about how this time last year almost to the date I was at the Marriott center watching Elder Andersen give the CES fireside, never would I have imagined that I would now be in Nova Scotia watching the broadcast the next year.
The week has been great! We have a new investigator, Nathan. He's a professor at the local college, and oh boy let me tell you about his lesson. It was awesome! 1st of all he pulls out his Bible and it looks just like ours, it's marked and is in a protective case. Right from the start I know this guy knows his Bible. He listened to our whole lesson without saying a word just intentively listening and then at the end I ask him to read and pray to know the Book of Mormon is true. He then pulls out Bible verse after Bible verse explaining why we shouldn't pray for answers! He says that "feelings" can be manipulated. He also said that he knows for a fact that Joseph Smith did not see God the Father and Jesus Christ because they are not seperate beings. I pulled out Acts and showed him Stephen's account of seeing all 3 seperately (thank you Mom for being a good seminary teacher!) He then said that no where in the Bible does it say that God has a body, I led him to Genesis about how we were created in his image. He was about to go to another scripture when I stopped him and said, you know this could go on forever. But we're not here to convince you! We are here to testify and to teach, and you have the opportunity to act on the message by praying and reading. He respected that and said that he wasn't here to argue but that he feels that all 4 of us at the table ( we had members with us) had bought into something that was completely false. He then said that one of us has to be wrong and one of us is right. With a smile on my face I whole heartedly said, "you're right!" I then told him, Our message is either true or it's not, and the way to know is to read The Book of Mormon and pray! He didn't commit to pray about it but said he would read and compare it with the Bible and if it matches up with the Bible then he would believe it. I left so pumped up! I feel like I avoided "bible bashing" and followed the Spirit and it was amazing. I had been prepared for that lesson because recently Jerry had a lot of questions and I had studied them out and realized that a lot of his answers were seminary mastery scripture answers. By studying those, I was able to answer Nathan's questions. It's amazing how when you are prepared, the Spirit can then help you to recall what you have studied. How incredible!
So that was my fun experience of the week! I really love Truro and love the members. We got to go to Young Women's activity this past week and bring an investigator with us. The activity was Yoga. It was awesome! Members have been feeding us Turkey dinners non stop since Christmas. They take care of us and love us and I feel so grateful for the people of Truro. Snow, like turkey has been non stop. I actually don't mind the cold when it snows so much. Something about it snowing makes it not feel as cold I think. We had interviews with President, they went well, I always love seeing President and Sister Simpson. Now we're off to another week, trying to prepare Chad and Matt for their baptisms on the 22nd and the 29th. Stressful, but a good kind of stress. Have a wonderful week! Thank you for your prayers and letters!

love,
Sister Crane

No comments: