Monday, May 2, 2011

It's MAY

Yay May is here! Yet it feels like winter. How does that work? Oh well soon the humidity will be here and I'll be wishing back the cold wind.....maybe....So this week was sooooo busy! And so great! Our new investigator, Craig, is on date to be baptized on May 28th. He came to church yesterday and he said he really loved it. He says he's really nervous to get baptized but I think after coming to church he feels more reassured. Greg, who's getting baptized on the 14th, immediately took Craig to see the baptismal font. haha I love it, our investigators helping each other out, it's the best.
On Thursday we met Elder Golden of the seventy. He and his wife are from South Africa and have these beautiful accents. It was so cool, at the begining we all line up ( I felt like I was in a wedding line) and what he did was he came to each of us one by one, shook our hands and starred us in the eye while he talked to us for a minute and then went to the next person. He just held my hand the whole time as he starred into my soul...ok maybe not...but it kind of felt that way. He was really nice and I was taking notes like crazy while he spoke. I played the piano for the meeting which I was kind of nervous about, but now that I've played in front of a general authority I think I can play in front of anyone. :) Then at the beginning of the meeting President Simpson gets up there and says, "We will now hear from 4 of you and will ask you to bear your testimony of something that you have learned on your mission thus far. Sister Crane you'll be first." of course. My heart was beating so fast I had no idea what to say. Seriously my mind was blank, yet some how I managed to say my testimony and as I ended I heard a loud "AMEN" from Elder Golden....hopefully that was a good sign. Some of the things that I learned from Elder Golden are:
-Trust your first thought, If you are being obedient then that first thought is most likely from the Spirit
-distrust the second thought. There is opposition in all things so the 2nd thought is most likely from the adversary
(by the way he said that those 2 pieces of information are not formal doctrine, they are his own but they have been tested)
-Atheism is just an intellectual excercise
-When you know thoroughly the laws of God it protects you and then more laws will be revealed to you
-When being exactly obedient you have to give yourself some room for error. Forinstance if we get up at 6:30am, that's late.
To be exactly obedient you would get up at 6:29am.
I have so many other things I learned, but those are the ones that stick out most. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I had to learn from him, especially while being a missionary. The rest of the time in Halifax was good. It was crazy to drive in the city, I've gotten so used to the small town of Truro, I was slightly nervous about finding my way, but thank goodness we did. It was so nice to talk to the other Sister's too. I got to see my old companions Sister Peaden and Sister Hudson. Sister Hudson and I are trying to convince President to put us together next transfer...we'll see if that one actually happens...it was worth a shot at least :)
We also got a new investigator this week! Kelly, she's incredible. She's one of those who has been so prepared by the Lord to hear our message. She minored in religious studies and has been looking for a church to go to for a while. I'm excited to teach her again.
On Sunday we had SOOO many people to church! I felt like the congregation was so much bigger because we had visitors! It was awesome. Greg, Craig, and Sabrina, out of our investigators came (Heather and Wanda were sick). And then we had 3 other visitors! One was Casey's friend, Diana, she came to support Casey because Casey taught our Gospel Principles class for her first time! She did great. The other visitors were Satvir and Katherine. We knocked into Satvir (she's from India) she didn't want to meet with us right away but wanted to come to church and brought her friend, this older lady Katherine. I couldn't believe they actually came. The best part was that they hit it off with a visitor from Ontario. The visiting sister sat with them and came to class with them and answered their questions. I was so amazed that she wasn't even apart of the branch, yet took on that resposibility as a member of the church. She set a great example for me. During the sacrament portion of the meeting, I heard Katherine asking all of these questions like, "what's sacrament? am I allowed to take it? do I chew the bread?" (in the Catholic faith you can't chew it, you have to wait for it to disintegrate in your mouth) We're hoping we get to meet with them soon.
This week was so crazy busy and this next week looks like it will be too. I love that! We have a lot of appointments, I just hope they all happen. Our goal is to teach 20 lessons a week (lessons to investigators, members, recent converts, or less actives) Last week we had 17 and this week we were so close and then on Sunday half of our appointments fell through so we got 16. We've planned it out again and we're hoping this week we'll actually reach it! I'm excited for Heather and Wanda's baptism on Saturday, I just hope they start feeling better soon so they can get baptized!
The church is true! I'm grateful to be serving at this time and to help the people of Atlantic Canada. I keep having "Oh Canada" stuck in my head. I'm determined to get the words right by the end of my mission, maybe I can memorize it in french too! Thank you for your love and support!

Love,
Sister Crane

No comments: