Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May 24th

Wow this week feels like a year! I feel like so much happened. Now let me see if I can even remember any of it! We had leadership training with President this week. We met in New Glasgow, it's about a 45 min. drive away from us. The Sisters who are serving in Montigue on PEI came and stayed with us and I got to experience my very first exchanges! wahoo! I went out with Sister Olsen and we taught Jamichael (the 9 year old) and got him on date for June 25th. Hooray! It was actually pretty cool because we roleplayed our lesson with him at training and the lesson went just like we had role played it. To top it off all 4 of us sisters prayed about his date and didn't feel good about the original one so we chose June 25th and felt good about it. Turns out June 25th is his grandma's birthday and he was really excited he said it could be her birthday present. So cool! I'm really excited for him. He said the best prayer at the end of the lesson too.
Leadership training was really good, but as always a humbling experience. President wants us to do our "door approaches" differently. He wants us to rely on the Spirit more and go straight into the doctrine, rather than just saying, "Hi we're just coming around the neighborhood to share a message about God and Jesus Christ, are you religious at all?" His new way of doing it involves being a lot more bold, asking people if we can come in, and not really having a system of what your going to say. It's been hard to say the least. I got so used to doing it the other way that this is scary. Yesterday Sister Glenn was such a pro, she told this guy Nick that Christ's church had been restored and then asked, "what would that mean to you to know that Christ's church has been restored and is on the earth today?" I always flinch at those questions because it sounds so deep for a 30 second conversation. But he responded surprisingly with, "It would mean a lot actually, I don't think a lot of people talk about that kind of stuff today." There was a pause as Sister Glenn and I stood there stund, like "who is this golden potential?" I chimmed in with something like, "well ya it's true! Christ's church is on the earth today!" and then we talked about the Book of Mormon and we have an appointment with him tonight. I'm so excited, and grateful that Sister Glenn was so bold.
Yesterday we went to Victoria park with Casey and her kids. Victoria park is this beautiful park smack dab in the middle of Truro. You can take a 5 minute walk up to a waterfall, or climb up 174 steps of "Jacob's Ladder", which I'm totally sore from. It's really gorgeous. It was so fun to just go and see something on a preparation day. I loved it. What I do not love is these stupid bugs called black flies. Black flies look like nats but are about twice the size. They bite and it hurts big time and they love to take bits of flesh out of your skin. Wow am I too graphic for you or what? They are nasty, and I don't remember them last year, so I'm hoping they go away ASAP! yuck.
We also had a fireside by the temple President and his wife, the Robinson's. They are from central Utah and recently served a mission in Africa. He was in the temple presidency in Nigeria at the Aba temple, and apparently the Aba temple is almost identical to the Halifax temple which he is now president of. How cool is that? There stories were incredible! I hope I get to serve a mission in Africa with my husband one day, it looks incredible. Apparently they had to end their mission early because of some kidnappings and the temple was closed for a year until they could train a new temple president in Africa. Craziness.
We also got 3 new investigators this week. 2 of them are a couple, Julie and Michael. They have an 8 month old son. They have def. been prepared by the Lord and it's so exciting to hear their concerns and think, "the gospel has the answer to all of those!" I'm excited to continue teaching them. Oh some really sad news, Heather's Mom passed away this week. Heather seems to be doing well though. I'm really grateful she has the gospel in her life to help her through it.
We find out transfers next Monday. The idea of leaving Truro is sad. I hope to get at least one more transfer in, there's still more that I want to do and especially in helping our recent converts. I'm so grateful for the 10 1/2 months I have had here. The members are incredible. I love the gospel. One thing I learned this week is that God knows me personally. I've believed it, but this week I know it. It's incredible, and a little scary too, because since God knows me so well, I better watch my thoughts, and my actions every part of every day. I'm so grateful that God hears are prayers, even the silent ones of our hearts. How amazing, He has so many children and He loves them all enough to listen to each of them. It's incredible. The church is true, this I know!

Love,
Sister Crane

No comments: