Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16th

Why do I keep getting sick? I don't know what it is but it's getting on my nerves. I have a cold, and it's still lingering. Despite the sickness setback, we still got a lot done this week and taught a lot! The best news of all is that GREG IS BAPTIZED! Hoooray! Seriously I can't believe he's baptized. As he went into the water Sister Glenn and I looked at eachother like, "is this really happening?" Greg gave us such a hard time for so long and FINALLY he did it. He was so happy all day, he couldn't stop smiling. The baptism and the confirmation went really smoothly. Sister Glenn sang "Lord, I Would Follow Thee" and I played for her. She got a bit choked up and I was surprised I didn't. The only part that I was crying at was when Verna Priest gave a talk. I met Sister Priest with Sister Peaden back in September and we started teaching her, she got baptized in November and she was my first baptism. Greg asked her to give the talk on the Holy Ghost. She was so nervous since it was her first talk, but she was so good! I felt like a proud mother sitting on the side lines of my childs soccer game, except I was rooting for her in my head. "You can do it, go Verna go!" haha It's amazing how in just 7 months, she has grown immensley. I'm so grateful that I was able to witness her growth so far. She's amazing.
This week we got 3 new investigators! So exciting! 2 of them have formerly been taught and we picked them back up, Allen, and Jennifer. Allen lives in Brookfield which is a 20 minute drive outside of town. He conveniently lives down the street from the famous Brookfield bakery, well it's famous to me. They have the best cookies ever! ah! so good! I won't even tell you how many I ate in one day. I'm thinking we need to find more investigators in Brookfield...if you know what I mean... Jennifer is really great, she's a single Mom of 2 and is so nice. She knew some members and so she just welcomed us in her home. She said that she always trys to welcome the missionaries because she thinks about how we have families and that there are people missing us and she just has to let us in. :) The other new investigator is a 9 year old named Jamichael. His parents are semi-active in the church and are super nice. We've been wanting to visit them for a long time, but it was hard to pin-point a time. Jamichael's mom, is the one who came up to us and told us she wanted Jamichael to get baptized and be taught. He's a smart kid and knows a lot about the gospel already. It's always challenging teaching kids though, it really tests you on what you know and understand about the gospel. So far his main question was if he got to plug his nose when he gets baptized. We assured him he did.
We're working with a lot of less-actives and recent converts lately. One of them is Delcia. She is the nicest lady who is unfortunatly allergic to scents, extremely. That's pretty common in the meritimes to be allergic to scents. The temple is a scent free zone and they are working on having our chapel be scent free too. She hasn't come to church in a long time because of it. We met her a few weeks ago and have been visiting her and she came to church yesterday! It was so exciting to see her. She did have a bad reaction and was coughing a bit, but she was happy she made it through sacrament meeting. She said she really missed it. I hope she keeps coming, and doesn't have a bad reaction everytime.
Heather and Wanda are still doing great. Now that they are baptized they want to get involved in the activities. We had a really cool experience with Heather on Monday. I had written about how Wanda had had a cool spiritual experience, she was praying and all the sudden she teared up and became red and bashful. After later talking with her she described that she was feeling the Spirit. Well, Heather had a similar experience when we were with her. She was giving the closing prayer and began to cry she said she felt like a burning in her heart, like a match had just been lit. She felt the Spirit! It was so neat! It's so exciting when you get to see other people experience truth!
Now that 3 of our golden investigators are baptized, it's off to find more golden investigators. Most of the people we're seeing are being, well flakey. They are either crazy busy, or who knows. We keep trying, and we'll keep finding. This week the Sister's from Montigue on PEI are coming for exchanges. I'm really excited, hopefully with all 4 of us we can find more people to teach! The church is true. God does hear and answer prayers. I'm grateful to be serving in Truro right now. I've met such amazing people. Serving people really does help you to love them and see them how God does. It's amazing how that works. It's also amazing how you can find yourself in serving other people. The world would have you believe that you should put yourself first, have some "me" time. But because of the Savior we know that when we loose ourself in the service of others, that's where we find ourselves and our needs our taken care of. I'm grateful to be able to serve.

Love,
Sister Crane

No comments: