Wednesday, April 13, 2011

April 11, 11

Hello spring! The days have been going by crazy fast. I don't even remember what we did this week, it feels like a blur. We had some pretty funny experiences, and yesterday I feel like we spent all day with members. They are what make Truro so great. We got fed which was really exciting because are calander for April is completely blank, no one signed up. hmmmm...we'll have to fix that. We went out knocking with a member again, Jackie Mingo. It was hillarious. There was this lady who we gave a pass a long card to, the one for the Finding Faith in Christ DVD. She took one look at it and said, "that is not my Jesus, he doesn't look middle-eastern at all, he's too caucasion" and gave the card back. She shut the door in our face and I was so taken back I didn't even know what to say. I busted out laughing. That was definately a first. So funny. I love knocking, it makes you feel so good and you always get the best stories. The other day we knocked into a guy and I was telling him about the Book of Mormon. I said, "It can answer any of life's questions, like where did we come from? why are we here? and where are we going?" He stopped me and said, "wait, you can answer those questions?" I said, "YA! I can!" He said "ok so start with the purpose of life, why are we here?" I said, "We are here to recieve the gift of a body and prepare to one day return and live with God and be like Him." He goes, " oh I just think we're here to live." haha what? ok good answer. Pretty sure we're here to live, but for what purpose!?! It's so interesting to me that this is the whole reason we are here, yet the world is so distracted with everything else that they don't stop and ponder those questions. Kills me.
So anyways Greg came to church. He's had this thing about the Sabbath Day. He thinks that it shouldn't matter if he wants to work on his house, or go buy milk on Sunday. In General conference the very first talk was on the Sabbath Day and he looked at us and asked us if we told the speaker. I said, "Yes Greg, I called up a member of the Seventy and told them you didn't believe the Sabbath Day was a commandment and that's why he's talking about it." He's so funny. So in church on Sunday we were singing this one hymn about working today, it's one of those weird one's that no one really knows how it goes. The last line says, "prepare for tomorrow by working today." He immediately turned around and showed us the last line and said, "work today! that means Sunday!" haha I laughed so hard. I told him that was talking about a different kind of work. Oh Greg, he really is hillarious. He's going to have us over for supper next week with 2 of his friends in the branch, the Mingos. He's making onion soup. It'll be a party! In our last lesson with him we asked him to pray about June 9th for his baptismal date. He said he pray about it. We were shocked. He has this thing about not setting a date until he's fully comfortable in the church, I could feel the Spirit so strongly as he asked us why June 9th? and I replied, "We prayed about it and know it's right." I know he'll feel it too if he'll just keep praying about it.
Heather and Wanda are getting ready for their baptism on the 23rd. Jolene oppted out, she feels it's too soon and is being...well a teenager. She's tuning us out now and gives us one word answers to everything. We're giving her more time to think about everything and prepare her more. Heather and Wanda are so great. I just love them. They laugh at everything I say, which is always nice. But they are so humble and sweet. On Saturday we asked Wanda to give the closing prayer. She started but then stopped right at the beginning. Her face turned all red and she turned away from everyone and said, "I can't" we waited and tried asking what was wrong and could tell she was going to cry. She said it was nothing and with Heather's help finished the prayer. After the members left we talked with Wanda and asked her if everything was alright. She said that it was, and she didn't know what happened, just that this strange feeling came over her that she never felt before. She felt chills and she couldn't even describe it. We asked her if it was a bad feeling and she said it wasn't, but it wasn't anything she ever felt before. She said normally she cries when she's sad, but she wasn't sad. Immediately Sister Glenn and I knew what it was, it was the Spirit. We both smiled and explained that what she was feeling was the Holy Ghost telling her our message is true. It was so neat that she felt the Spirit so strongly.What an amazing experience, one I don't think she'll ever forget.
Well there you go. I feel like I have so much more to write, but nothing at all. We find out transfers next Monday. I think I'll be staying but you never know. The members think I'll spend my whole mission here. One member said when I go home and someone asked me where I served I'll say Truro, Nova Scotia. Instead of Halifax Canada. I think she might be right :) I love the feeling I get being a missionary. There's nothing else like it. Whether you have success that day or not, knowing that you were out there talking to God's children and planting seeds, you just feel so good. You feel so fullfilled doing the Lord's work. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to serve and have these experiences. The church is true! Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Sister Crane

No comments: