Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Happy Easter!

I'm staying in Truro! Who would have thought? I did. Well it was just one of those things where I just felt like I was staying. It is kind of insane to stay in one place for this long, but I figure that there's something that I haven't done yet that I need to do, so once I figure out what that is I'll do it and get out of here! Just kidding, I really do love Truro. Everyone was so happy that we are staying. Some members didn't believe me when I told them I was staying. Our investigators were thrilled and I think the best reaction came from Sister Mingo. We told her and she screamed and said she was going to cry she was so happy that she had prayed all night that we wouldn't get transferred and told Heavenly Father that Truro needed us and we were doing such good work that we shouldn't get moved. I was in shock that it meant so much to her that we both stay. When we told Heather, our investigator she said something similar that "pray works" so there you go, prayers are answered. :)
Here's some exciting news: GREG IS ON DATE! yay! He's getting baptized May 14th! So Heather and Wanda will get baptized on the 7th and the following Saturday Greg will get baptized. I'm so excited. I wasn't sure if Greg would get baptized while I'm here or not. He gives us the hardest time and jokes every 2 seconds, you just can't take him seriously, but we asked him to pray about it and then came back and he says, "ok." WHAT?? there was silence after his answer and I looked at Sister Glenn and said, "did he just say yes?" I couldn't believe it. Greg also made us 2 meals this week! He just called us up at 3:00pm and says, "are either of you vegetarian?...ok good come by and pick up your dinner at quarter to 5." The first day it was pork and potatoes and the second day it was french onion soup. It was so nice of him to feed us and it tasted good too!
Heather and Wanda are the best. They tell the funniest stories and we bust up laughing every appointment. Last Tuesday we could barely get through the lesson. We were talking about feasting on the scriptures and I said something like, "I don't think Nephi means to literally eat paper but to..." and bam they were laughing hysterically. It really wasn't that funny but in the moment apparently it was. Oh dear, I'm saving my humor for when I get home, it's no good to me here, I'll never get anything done! They are excited for their baptism and take the initiative to ask people for the program and the confirmation. I'm so excited for their day!
Sabrina, Casey's sister, came to church! I was so excited to see her! We haven't been able to teach her for a while so it was exciting that she came. We're going to teach her today which should be good. Our other investigators are so hard to get ahold of! yeesh! but we keep trying and we are teaching a lot and getting appointments with new people which is exciting.
So have I ever talked about junk day? It's the best. Once in the fall and once in the spring they have junk day! This is where everyone puts out on their front lawn any junk they have. So at this time of year you drive down the street and typically see gross couches, (they call them chesterfields here) broken lamps, toilets, shelves, lawn chairs, stuff you can't recognize, clothes, yada yada. It's ridiculous the amount of junk that lines the streets. People go and scavenge other peoples junk and take stuff home. And then one day it's all gone! We had a nasty toilet on our front lawn for a week or 2, thanks to our neighbors, I was happy to see that go. Sister Glenn and I also managed to pick up a nice piece of junk for our apartment. It's this giant picture of a lion. We were just driving by and saw it and we new instantly it was a treasure. :) We're still trying to figure out where to hang it.
Apparently now that the weather has gotten better people notice us more. We get honked at and whistled at like nobody's business. It's ridiculous and really grosses me out. The only time I get whistled at and I'm a missionary. Weird? I think yes. We've had some really great experiences knocking too. The other day we knock on this door and 2 women answer we give our schpeal and they say no and so we walk out, well one of the women follows us out and stops us. She starts to tell us that she is very concerned for our souls and that we should really pray about our church and see if it's all it's cracked up to be. She said she did admire our conviction but then she almost started to cry as she told us that she would pray for us. WOW. I assured her that I had prayed about it and that I was positive it was true but appreciated her concern. When she was talking to us I felt sick to my stomach. Instantly I knew it was the adversary. (Not her, but her words). It wasn't until we walked away that the sinking feeling in my stomach left. It was nice to have it be so black and white like that.
Oh ya It was Easter this weekend! Happy Easter! I gave a talk on the Atonement in church, I think it went pretty well. I also played the piano for a little girl in the branch, Taylor. She sang "I lived in Heaven" it was really cute. Saturday one member, Sister Reyes had an Easter party and invited us because she has some non-member friends that were coming and she wanted us to talk to them. We had an Easter egg hunt and of course I won. ok well you can't really win....but I gave those kids a run for their money. After it I traded with all of the kids and got the good candy, it was a good experience.
I am so grateful to be serving a mission! It's so much fun to help people and see that I'm making a difference. I love wearing this name tag and boldly telling people what I believe in. This week I'll get to meet Elder Golden of the seventy, he's going to talk to us on Thursday. I'm so excited to hear from him. I hope you all have a great week! Thank you for your prayers and support!

Love,
Sister Crane

No comments: